Saturday, April 14, 2012

Itano Tomomi's 10年後の君へ & Clone PV Review

I've been waiting for Itano Tomomi's next single for what felt like a long time. She is my favorite soloist from AKB48, and one of my top idol soloists, that are active. (Although there aren't that many so it ends up being, in no particular order, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Narsha, and Itano Tomomi at the top of my list.) This PV brings me back to the early 2000s when it comes to musical style and cinematography. Did anyone else think of BoA's Japanese works from the 2000s.


This is why I can see Itano Tomomi doing well on her own as long as she has the right support system because she has the same cool swag of Amuro Namie. I used to not care for Amuro Namie live because she didn't seem to be trying too hard, but it has grown on me. I was used to Britney Spears' level of performance, so she seemed flat to me. This is why I don't think much of critiques of Itano performance quality when it comes to facial expressions. I mean, Amuro Namie is considered one of the top female artists in Japan.


Side Note: Itano Tomomi wrote one of the B-sides (lose-lose) for this single, which is a great sign. A lot of major female artists in Japan start off as idols, but now either completely or have a major hand in producing their own music.


The very beginning brings me back to the 2000s period, with the editing technique to make the video look fuzzy or poor quality. This combined with the rainy city backdrop sets the scene for a lovely ballad. I'm glad they only included this technique twice, because it would of likely gotten old if used repetitively.


Combined with the church shots and club storyline scene the video just screams retro. The retro concept works wonderfully with the theme, which is kind of like a letter 10 years later. [The title translates to 'To You 10 Years Later.] Ten years ago from now would be 2002. I guess if you don't care for that period then you won't appreciate this song and promotional video as much. That period represents my youth so it is nostalgic for me. Now that I think about it, the video itself feels nostalgic.

Back to the various shots. Itano Tomomi looks gorgeous in the church scenes. I appreciate that they incorporated a storyline to the PV. Considering the theme it is really necessary. One problem I have is that she is in high school then but she is having a fling with an architect. I can see girls enjoying it because high school guys can be immature and he seems like the ideal guy. Although, they have limitations. If they make her older in the flashbacks then she would be in her 30s present day. I also wouldn't prefer a high school drama considering Itano's age. She is becoming an adult, so her solo works should reflect that. So I guess this is a good compromise. [Still jailbait.]


Overall it is simple, but nothing exemplary. However, when you consider the theme of the piece everything works well to bring you back to the early 2000s. I would say it is a success. It is not my favorite PV, even from Itano as a soloist. It is successful at what it means to do, instead of just her singing a ballad alone on some cheap sets.
I didn't know if I was happy that this isn't the A-side when I first found out. I liked it when I heard the leaked previews, but it isn't as catchy as her previous singles. However, I don't like the real A-side as much as Dear J and Fuini. Clone follows Itano usual style of Pop infused with Hip-Hop elements. It is the promotional song for another of her E-Mobile commercials, which isn't my favorite compared to their other CMs. I guess she gets to release a solo single every time E-Mobile wants another CM song.


This PV isn't anything spectacular, but pretty good considering it is for a B-side. The majority of idols, and even artists only produce music videos for their title tracks. Unlike the A-side, this doesn't seem to have much layers to it. It only has two backgrounds, but there is a variety in shots and pans. I have no idea what is going on with the bottles on ones of the sets. Itano Tomomi spends the majority of her time being chill and or having a playful, mischievous expression. They also didn't use the promotional outfit for Clone. This video might of been better if they had done a different dance shot. Then again, this is only a B-side so I shouldn't have high expectations.


There is a dance close up that is pretty cool. It is a close-up shot but instead of her just singing in front of the camera she does some minor choreography and you can see back-up dancers behind her. This works mostly because the dance difficulty is low. However, Itano with all her swag doesn't look stiff. It is a bit disappointing because she hasn't released a solo song yet that challenges her dancing. Itano was a child-dancer so I bet she is capable of upping-the-ante. On the other hand, the dancing reminds me of Hitoe (SPEED)'s solo PV Inori.


All in all this PV is pretty flat and low budget. But I'm giving management and Itano a break on this one because they don't need to make a promotional video for a B-side. I guess it is due to AKB48 that I now desire pretty good quality B-side PVs too. The dance and performance by Itano is not premium quality, but neither the choreography or the concept of this video require much from her. I would only recommend this if you like to watch Itano Tomomi because there really isn't any other reason to do so.
Rating: ☆☆☆


I'll post Itano Tomomi's previous solo PVs for those who aren't familar with her. I personally like them better, like I mentioned before. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...