Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mina's Little Adventure: My Last Meal (Shinagawa)

Let's start with the internal conversation that took place during the middle of dinner and continued on as I walked back to Shinagawa-shuku.

With only a fourth of her rice eaten, a fish and a shrimp tempura left, most of her pickle dish, but all her miso soup eaten, the moment that Mina dreads (while eating in Japan) occurred.

Heart: "This is yummy, and the staff are so pleasant!  I know we can fight through it and finish this tempura donburi off."

Brain: "Well I know that stomach here is going to have an issue with that, but I'll ask anyway."

Stomach: "Nope, hell no we won't go!"

Brain: "Your not going anywhere, find a different chant."

Heart: "But. . . but!  It is rude not to finish, and this is a really great place and all.  We want to make a good impression on behalf of foreigners right?"

Brain: "How about we finish the tempura, and try to finish all of the rice?"

Mina finished off the fish and some more rice.

Brain: "Oh great there is nori on the rice, that's not going to help. . . here it goes."

Stomach: "Fuck no!"

Brain: "Okay we can still finish off most of the rice just scrape the nori off and leave the rice that won't separate from it."

Mina put some rice in her mouth.

Heart: "Here put some more in!  If we eat faster maybe we can do it!"

Stomach: "Fuck NO we aren't!"

Mina's urge to stop eating skyrocketed to the up-chuck reflex, but she held it back.  You see Mina has a strong stopping point when it comes to eating.  There are some pros and cons to processing this trait.  But, in the states it isn't a problem because it isn't considered rude to not finish your plate and taking the leftovers home isn't uncommon.

Brain: "Hurry and eat the shrimp."

As Mina was trying to work through her rice the elderly gentlemen who appeared to be the head chef/ owner refilled her glass of water with a kind smile.

Heart: "Awn, we can do this!"

With a wave of good emotion Mina was able to eat some more rice without difficulty.  Unfortunately, the old ways persisted.  Mina was able to finish all the white rice, but the nori and overly seasoned by sauce rice would't make it down.  Mina glared at her plate.  Then she made a disappoint face, and nibbled on her rice until she couldn't handle it anymore and paid for her meal.

As Mina walked back to her home for the past two days she has a mix of negative emotions.  Her stomach ached and cried, "Why you'd make me do thaaaat?"  Her heart vibrated with guilt.  Her brain, the smart alack that it is pointed out that "we knew better, and although we do like donburi and it was recommended and it was a discounted price, that we should of just ordered tempura.  It probably would of come with miso anyway."

Tip: If you don't like miso soup in the states don't hesitate in Japan.  Many places have miso included with meals.  I hated miso whenever I had it in the states.  However, I've had traditional, clam, and nori (seaweed which I don't like one bit) misos and I've enjoyed each one.

Like earlier today, I dressed to show off and suit my foreigner~ness: John Lennon and Yoko Ono "Bed Peace" t-shirt, my awesome tights, mini cowboy boots, my blonde hair, and classic Ray Ban sunglasses (except not while it was dark out or when I was inside).  A great thing about where I am staying is that it seems pretty safe for such a large city.  It reminded me of Madison, but less trains.  On the way towards the Shinagawa Station, about a 5 minute walk from the guest house, there is a row of various Japanese restaurants.  Curry, then soba, then sushi, then tempura, and another one after that (and maybe more after that).  I was taking pictures of each place to show the variety.  After getting a shot of the tempura sign I looked down to see the staff smiling at me.  The elderly chef and a younger chef nodded at me as a greeting, coaxing me to enter.  Well I couldn't say no to them and tempura sounded great.  I walked in and got the usually greeting.  They sat me down and gave me a menu.  It was a mix of kanji, hiragana, and katakana.  I didn't know the kanji, but there were pictures.  I was thinking about one that was 560 yen because it was a donburi.  The waitress was close by because I was the only one there (people came in later as I ate).  I asked her in Japanese which one she thought was good.

Tip: どちらのほうがいいとおもいますか。(dochira no houga ii to omoimasu ka)
Which one do you think is better / 'gooder'?
dochira - a more formal way of saying which (dochi for short/ casual)
no houga - a set phrase when asking which is better
ii - good, you can switch this out with cheaper, delicious, ect.
omoimasu - 'to think' in formal speech (polite speech is always used unless in a casual setting like after some time with your host or once you have close friends.  when you start using it is a difficult question.  this is a hard thing for me because i learned short form after common formal and i usually spoke short form with my friends and host/ i have difficulty switching which form to use but i've gotten better at it.)

The food was great and the service was excellent as well (better than the maid cafe).  I then returned to the guest house where Taka-san was sitting at the front desk.  We had a conversation in partly English and Japanese.  I switched to English to explain the terms we use when we get take out:
left overs
wrapped up
take home
take out
doggy bag
As we were speaking the elderly, Japanese lady from Ohio walked in and we said hello to one another.  I asked her how her day was in Japanese, and she responded.  She then asked me what I did today, and I also responded.  At this point I am pleased that I've said everything in polite speech, without messing up.  She then said that Taka-san wants to practice his English, but I like to practice my Japanese.  She then switched over to English to request that I speak to him in English every so often.  I then mentioned that I want to teach English in Japan and my certificate (that I wish to get in college).  Taka-san said that they need a lot of teachers now because elementary school is starting soon, but most of the English teachers went home because of the earthquake and the following problems.  A couple of other guests came in so I excused myself and went up stairs and the lady went to her room.  That is my day so far. . . how did I get deja vu just now?  I am going to pack up my stuff, go over my travel print out for tomorrow, and see if I can transfer more stuff from my bag to my backpack to lighten it up.  I am ditching a manga magazine (more like book) that I got as a small gift because Acchan is on the cover and there are a couple pages of her.  I was an idiot and didn't follow my rule of always bringing scissors (and I can't rip anything).  It takes a ton of space and the manga are not my taste.  I'll live without Acchan.  I might come back to stay here at least the night before my flight to relax.  I could always apply for another show, and then I can grab some copies of CDs at Book OFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...