Monday, June 27, 2011

Mina's Little Adventure: Tokyo Day 1/2 (Akihabara)

It is only 5:19 (or 17:19) here, but I am exhausted from traveling and walking around.  Unfortunately the lady who sounds to be neighbor is chatting up everyone on her phone.  I can't tell if she is loud or if the walls are really thin.  Another small note is that the ice-cream truck jingle before announcements are also in Tokyo.  A complete side note is that we had one day that was not steaming hot on the farm (my last day) and I get mosquito bites on my neck, back, and both elbows!  I am thinking about dropping by the local family mart (which is basically next door and so it the post office) and picking up either a soda for some energy (if I decide to look for a place to eat) or just grab dinner there (because I'm tired and eating alone at a restaurant is a bit depressing).  I will talk about each host in detail later, and if you want their host number then email me.  Here is the break down of my day so far and some advice along the way for people interested in Tokyo.  (Some of the times are rounded down or up just because I'm lazy.)

9:00 ~ Leave Enzan Station (Yamanashi) for Takao
10:30 ~ From Takao transfer to train heading for Tokyo
11:00 ~ Get off at Shinjuku Station and transfer trains heading for Shinagawa
This cost me less than 2,000 yen, which is really cheap and what I would recommend if you have time to spare (if not take the express train that goes from Koufu and some other stops to Shinjuku station).

Tip: When in doubt (or whenever you are making a long trip) talk to the ticket people!  He got me one ticket for cheap from Enzan all the way to Shinjuku and printed out a sheet with the times and stops.

The great thing about Tokyo is the "green JR line" which goes around in the circle around the major stops.  I'll talk about this more when I get to navigating my way to Akihabara.

I got a bit lost (I used my iphones GPS for a moment to get directions and a map, which I used even after I turned off roaming because my tracker still followed me), but nothing that bad.  My tip is always check, especially if you have GPS on your phone because you can correct yourself early on (like if you cross the wrong street or make a wrong turn).

Tip: Check your cell phone plan.  Having things like iphones are great in case of emergencies, but you will need to keep your data roaming off except when you get the directions, turn it off right after.

I'm staying at the Shinagawa Guest House.  It was hard to spot, mostly because I was distracted by the fact that my directions (after putting the address in) wanted to take me to a different hotel on the corner of that street and I was trying to figure out how to find it without getting lost.  I had a giant suitcase and looked lost (in the rain I might add) so someone called the owner of the Shinagawa-shuku.  Taka-san went out and took me there.  I dropped off my luggage before heading out to Akihabara (because check in time isn't until 16:00).

Tip: If you can drop off your luggage plan ahead and pack what you need in your purse.  If you are staying during the raining season (June/ July) bring a compact-able umbrella and carry it around.

The great thing about the place I'm staying is that it is extremely cheap.  Most guide books have their inexpensive spots around 16,000 yen a night.  Mine only costs 3,500 yen for a single room (3,000 for a dormitory).  Like I mentioned before, it has a family mart and post office nearby. [I'm sending back my gifts ahead of time because it is weighing down my bag = too many friends and family.]  It is almost a straight shot from not only Shinagawa Station (10/ 15 minute walk), but really close to the Kitashinagawa Station.  I don't bother (save my cash).  The area is clean and has a lot of trees.  It is not too busy.  It is also inbetween Shibuya and Akihabara.  (That was really helpful for my upcoming task.)

Navigating the JR Line:
All you need for a short stay [major districts] is the green circle.  The kiosks will work fine.  There are multiple maps by the longer row of kiosks.  One will have English names (for those who aren't proficient  at reading kanji).  Look at the map (it will point to where you are but that isn't important), and find where you want to go on the green circle.  There will be a number next to it: that is how much the ticket costs.  A good thing to keep in mind are the other stops in that same direction because there will be two green trains going in opposite directions.  However, if you look around after purchased your ticket (some guide books lie about them only taking 1,000 bills or change) and entered the station (if you aren't sure of the process watch someone ahead of you/ you feed the gate your ticket and it pops out the other end) there might be little train lines (in the color of your train) with the names of the stops it makes in English before you go to the platform.  At Shinagawa it is on pillars in front of the stairs of the platform.  Keep hold of your ticket, you will need to feed the gate when you leave (but no poop for you).  What is great about the JR line in Tokyo is the virtual screens and the speakers which will say the stops in Japanese and English (you can also see the stops after you).  Avoid rush hour periods (think about work schedules!).  That circle will get you where you need to go for main stops.  I'm not bothering with smaller trains, so good luck.

14:00 ~ Arrive Akihabara
I leave from the Electric Town or whatever exit because I remembered it from reading about how to get to the AKB theatre.  I decide to walk around in hopes of finding the AKB48 store.  I magically go perfectly to the spot (by following main roads and spotting the AKB pillars).  I head up and was disappointed by the store (however the shop next to it was selling maid costumes that were over my budget).  There are plenty of places to buy AKB48 stuff.  If you walk around there are plenty of small shops selling photobooks, DVDs, photos, CDs, and other merch.  I wouldn't bother unless you want a big ticket item.


Tip: You want to buy a CD, DVD, or book CHEAP = Book OFF!  There is one near the station, but you have to walk around some buildings (you can spot it from the giant sign and figure out from there).  They have and idol section for CDs.  Discount DVDs and CDs, and manga for 105 yen each!  Beware: get there at off hours because the manga section will be packed with people reading manga (or hunt down one of the other book offs).  There were a ton of old Morning Musume albums for only 250 yen!  They were also selling the theatre edition of AKB48's 21st single for 300 yen, limited editions for 950 yen.  I didn't even bother looking at the photobook section because I had already purchased the ones on my list.

While I looked around at the smaller shops selling AKB48 things, I bought my two photobooks [the second travel one which are my favorite and Mayu's for my friend who also has a big butt].  I was starving (past one / 13 o'clock).  I wanted to eat a maid cafe, but I didn't want to just walk in (best decision or maybe not).  I made eye contact with a cute maid (who was wearing a proper, black & white uniform) and she offered me a flier and a coupon (should of read the coupon).  I asked if it was close by and she asked me "go?".  She walked me over and rode the elevator to the cafe.  This was my favorite part because we chatted in Japanese about things including AKB48 (her favorite is Mayu).  Unfortunately, she left after dropping me off to hunt down other people.  The cafe didn't have many people there and only about two or three maids working at a time. The menu had both Japanese and English.  Two maids approached me after I was seated.  One started to speak in English and I said that Japanese was fine (in Japanese), so the other continued on in Japanese.  I got some curry rice, because it is one of my favorite.  The maid who served it to me had us do this moe~ moe~ thing to make it taste better.  I missed the signs saying no pictures (but I was only taking pictures of the flowers and food).  I asked after I was finished to take a picture with the maid who spoke to me in English.  She seemed super happy about it, but I also think she was new.  (She said in Japanese that she was also studying it and was from Hong Kong.)  My picture didn't turn out as well as my friend's did when she went to a maid cafe.  I would say that I got better service in American joints because I didn't get a refill of my water without asking.  The curry was good, but as you expect overpriced 1200 yen (500 yen for the photo).  I was a bit disappointed and wished the place was more bustling because I was just eating my curry by myself.  After I left I walked around and hunted down Book OFF to browse before heading back to the station because there was only 10 minutes until I could check-in.

That is my day so far.  Big thumbs up to the photobook I got.  They went to sooo many places in the last year!  There are tons of picture and it features a large number of members.  The other I got for a friend who is Puerto Rican; do you get why it is funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...