Monday, September 5, 2011

Kara's 'STEP' MV Review + Upcoming LIVE on YouTube!

I tend to dislike most female, Korean artists while active in Japan.  However, when they release something in Korea I adore it.  I didn't care for Kara when they were active in Japan.  I love the song.  The use of colors is a ton of fun.  The girls aren't trying to be overly cute or sexy.  This proves to me is that a studio song without a plot line can be amazing.  The blue outfits in the white room reminds me of the '80s.  However, when they are dancing with the bleachers in the back I think of '90s Britney Spears.  The bright set and mix of patterns bring me back to miss A's Breathe music video.  Even though it is just dance shots and close up shots, they do a variety of angles, pans, and mixture of lighting.  The pacing is great so I never got bored.  The one thing I would of liked to see is that towards the end they use all of the various dance shots.  They seemed to do a pairing of dance shots that they switched back and forth between.    

The main set is very picturesque and loud.  What I think is cool is that they were able to do that without distracting too much from the girls themselves.  
They used three types of solo close up shots.  One was a party scene, where you could see extras dancing.  The other, a play on the generic close up but closer which gives it s bit of an edge.  
One of my personal favorite, simple editing techniques is cutting clips together without transition, if the clips are similar enough it keeps things interesting.  One example they used is by using various distance shots.  
 
This was another twist to the classic solo shot.  They have the subject off center; the movement attracts the audience attention still.  
It is the same room as before, but with a different underlining color.
We can see a similar background from one of the solo shots.  There is so much going on that I am impressed that it all layered together.
To be personally honest, this style shot was beautiful, but out of place compared to the rest of the video.
The large group dance, with an upwards (bird's eye) pan had a hint of Bollywood to it.  

I hope someone got to see it.  I didn't get to watch the concert on YouTube because it was during the school week at like 2AM my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...