Saturday, April 30, 2011

PV Theory: AKB48 vs. SUPER☆GiRLS

Two promotional videos were released by large idol groups.  One I thought was okay, and the other I really liked it.  Take a look before I review and compare the two. (AKB48's is slightly slower to avoid copyright.)

AKB48 takes the original concept of Ponytail no Shushu and inserts a pinch of all their other PVs.  If you are an AKB fan you get to play a game of recognize the PV, however the rest are kind of left out.  Now, I have high expectations coming into it.  I loved the song because it was fun to dance to and infectious.  Plus, for at least the last year their PVs have been pretty outstanding.  Sure nothing is perfect, but AKB was definitely reaching for it.  They also started hiring well-known directors and choreographers.  But, I am quite disappointed.  I don't even care for any single part of this PV, not the close ups, not the storyline, nor the dance shot.  Maybe the fact that they incorporated so many different PVs made it okay, but the storyline is all over the place.  I don't know what is going on or why anything is happening.  Just think about the non-AKB fans going 'WTF was that?'  Huge bonus that they worked in more girls, but that is overshadowed by the fact that the dance shot and choreography is mild.  I'm going to have to watch that dance routine over and over again.    


Don't judge me!  This is just plain, stereotypical, male-targeted fan-service, which part of me wants to say is horrible.  At least try not to be obvious about it, present a concept as to why they are playing around in swimsuits, seifuku, and yukata.  Don't you want some female fans?  Oh by the way, "they want it anytime, they want it anywhere," REALLY, no really I know you were talking about them wanting to have fun but everything else kept telling me it was the other thing.  Wait, what was that?  Don't make it obvious that you are just trying to make your boobs look bigger, no random squishing them together.  However, despite all the ridiculous fan-service I loved it.  The girls were adorable, and they added in small elements of humor.  The PV sells the song, which is my determiner of whether it is a good PV or not.
Surprise, I thought SUPER☆GiRLS made a better PV than AKB48, and I'm not even a guy.  See, I am not biased enough to say an idol's group 2nd PV is better than my favorite's 21st.  Both had a concept, and neither of them were good.  However, the cliche one might be a cliche for a reason.  Actually, that is not it, they just were more charming.  That is amazing because I don't know a single one, AND I like AKB48's song better.  FAIL.  Sayaka won the poll for who I should vote for.  I haven't bought the single yet.  When I arrive in Japan I will see if I can grab a copy.  Unfortunately, your votes did not sway me.  Acchan got second, but then her appeal video was a complete fail boat so. . . Minami Minegishi!  (Unless my Miorin friends don't talk me out of it.)  What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...