Monday, December 12, 2011

2NE1 - Best New Artist in the World (MTV)

Forgive me the poor screenshot the program I use didn't care for the live stream.
2NE1, a popular, female Korean-Pop group, just finished their first concert in New York City and received their crowns for Best New Artist from MTV.  It was my first time watching 2NE1 perform.  I was familiar with some of their singles due to K-Pop Music Mondays by Eat Your Kimchi.  (I'm going to skip over all my comments on the entire show because they had a number of other artists perform that were nominated.  Well, except with how much I adore Yuna as a person and I would totally go out with her.  Sorry, I have a thing for Muslim women.)  

My favorite, who is the best dancer of the group,
 Minzy.
Their performance was short and only consisted of singles.  They had some short interview and Q+A sections.  For big fans of 2NE1 I bet they were disappointed because the show seemed to focus more on introducing a ton of new artists, not on the winning group.  I thought their performances were solid and well organized.  I'm surprised they didn't go completely live with the vocals considering American's hypersensitivity to anything lip-synced.  My reaction to 2NE1 was what I expected for the most part.  I came into this knowing that they weren't going to be my favorite thing.  However, what I didn't expect coming in was how I would react to the members.  Overall, I liked them.  CL gave good answers during the talk-portion.  Minzy tried to show off some cool moves.  Their outfits were lively and funky as usual.  Dara was wearing her hair in that ridiculous style.  (I don't care if you are Korean, during the clips where you were running around the town you looked so much better.)  

I never knew that Bom had gotten plastic surgery before
watching this.
The one thing that I couldn't stop obsessing over was Bom.  Oh how plastic does she look.  (Sorry killa, I know you hate when people mention that.)  Here is a fact of life:  East Asian noses look weird on Caucasian faces, and vice versa.  You reminded me of Michael Jackson, which isn't a good thing!  

TANGENT WARNING: My parents listened to the Beatles, my Dad would use MC Hammer to help me fall asleep, and I listened to Shaggy, Britney Spears, Aaron Carter, and boy bands.  My exposure to Michael Jackson was the pedo trials and after ALL OF THE PLASTIC SURGERY.  Let's say I didn't have the best opinion of the guy.  I didn't start listening to his music until after he died and all of the tributes ensued.     

Anyway, I couldn't stop focusing on her.  This was combined with her uber-short dress which would show her butt or crotch if she opened her legs a bit, bent over, or if the camera was a lower angle (which it was).  Not to mention I did not understand her facial expression during Lonely.  It might of been due to too much plastic surgery so her face couldn't move?  [I do not know how much work she has gotten done, but I checked with my 2NE1 friend and she confirmed that she did get stuff done.]  I am aware that it isn't uncommon for Koreans to get work done.  However, considering their edgy image and presenting themselves as a different kind of K-Pop girl group I did not think they would find it necessary.  It just makes me doubt them from being different from the mainstream, manufactured groups.  
There is a reason 2NE1 was nominated over all the other Korean acts, and we all know there is a boat-load of 'em.  They would be easily marketable in the United States.  Europe is a different matter, they are far more accepting of East Asian acts.  They are original and have perfect timing, plus they can speak English.  The United States may be opening up to Asian artists.  Far East Movement had a huge hit, and Jin Akanishi's first single is doing well on the charts.  However, that doesn't mean it will last or reach the same level as their Korean success.  BoA and Utada had mild results.  Far East Movement has had only one number-one hit, and another in the top ten.  Their other singles have not done nearly as well.  

Image is important in America.  Acts like Lady GaGa and Ke$ha would not be where they are without it.  2NE1 has the image.  But will the fact that Asians do not have a hold of major portion of the US entertainment industry prevent them.  (What causes that I am not sure.)  If I could see a Japanese group make it it would be Perfume.  They have a stylistic appeal.  The problem is that they have no interest in leaving the Japanese market.  Japan has the second largest music industry in the world.  Why lose their pretty much guaranteed continued success in Japan for an uphill battle?  Perfume does not have that ambition.  The other problem is that they don't tend to sing live, which is extremely important in the States.  So, yep.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...