Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dubstep Is A Blessing & A Curse: Morning Musume's Renai Hunter PV Review

It feels like a while since Morning Musume has done anything.  I ignored their last single because I hated it.  (It wasn't just the costumes.)  While this video made me think they were back at trying to win my affections, it is still not as good as the quirky Maji Desu ka Ska.  I was pretty pumped when I heard the audio previews because they were utilizing dubstep.  I liked it, didn't love it though.  The music video received the same luke-warm response.


The close-up shots are very nice and match the image of the song.  I also find the outfits much better than some of their previous singles.  I don't mind the setting for the dance shot, although they've done better.  My complaint is that choreography sucks, in my opinion.  There are some good moments, but it was a huge disappointment.  I don't expect amazing dance skills from Morning Musume, but while listening to the previews I imagined something better.  


I dislike Tsunku's habit of auto-tuning Michishige's voice.  Her voice is naturally high pitched, why do you want to make it more so?  Then there was the usual issue of distribution of lines.  I don't mind some girls getting more than others, but could everyone get at least one or pair up for major ones?  I also wish they would just cut out the magazine shots because this sounds like a dance-track and that should be featured more.  Besides, they look out of place.  Well, I guess they don't have anything else to highlight in the dance section.


Dubstep tends to go well with amazing choreography/ dancing.  It doesn't even need to be too spectacular, it just has to have a pop to it.  That is why you see artists, especially in K-Pop, add dubstep just for a dance section.  So, I'm sorry Morning Musume fans who liked this video, the robot and then vibrating in a pose is not going to do it.  (There is a similar case where it is perfectly acceptable, but this is not Ayumi Hamasaki's Marionette.)  


They spend the majority of the time throwing their first towards the ground or the ceiling, or doing a hop-step in a circle while shaking one of their hands.  The wave thing didn't do anything for me.  Seriously, they could of tried something new with a superb dance shot for the entire PV.  


There was one element that I did love.  They split up the girls and they do different movements, you can spot it during Reina's first set of solo lines.  I appreciated the slight variety in angles, but have you never heard of pans?  So all in all, I am back to my position of not following them closely.  I mean the PV didn't bore me and everyone looked great, but it wasn't that good.  Dancing is a pretty big thing in my book.  It is one of my reasons Minegishi Minami is my AKB oshi.  Plus, there are so many idol groups now with strong choreography (all the E-Girls, Fairies, SNSD, Kara, the 48s).  I guess this cemented my outlook that I shouldn't expect anything from Hello Project.  I heard dubstep and started visualizing.  One of these days I am going to give up.  The good news is that I am really digging Fairies at the moment.  [I made a ton of screen shots, but it seems the function broke or something went wrong, so I lost them all.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...