Friday, February 25, 2011

AKB48 and Plastic Surgery + Other Topics

This subject, specially in the case of Tomomi Itano, came up quite a while back, but I didn't post anything on the matter.  I thought the post on Tokyohive settled the matter, but I became frustrated recently when seeing videos suggesting she did as well as comments.  This is nothing unusual.  Pretty much any asian celebrities' name can be typed into google and it will suggest to add plastic surgery.  I know that I can't help what other people of the internet say, but I wish they would at least try to have some integrity when they accuse someone of getting work done (at least seeing better evidence than a picture from before and after puberty).  It probably just ignorance because if you were familiar enough with AKB48 you would know that cosmetic surgery would be impossible to pull off without being noticed.  But, even more so after the director of the beauty clinic "Takasu Clinic", Takasu Mikiya argued the unlikeliness of the rumors:
“The members of AKB are currently at the peak of their popularity and they wouldn’t have the spare time for such a procedure. In Tomochin’s case, the down time would take up to three to six months. People like them rather use eye tape and eye pieces to freely change the appearance of their eyes to a certain degree, e.g. double eyelids. Many people always think of plastic surgery first when seeing double eyelids, but that is a common mistake.”

Further, he stated, “It’s not just Tomochin. On the Internet there are a lot of rumors involving members of AKB48 and plastic surgery, especially Maeda Atsuko, Shinoda Mariko, Kojima Haruna, Minegishi Minami, and Watanabe Mayu. I don’t think any of those girls have gone under the knife. Most of them debuted in their early teens and it’s natural for them that certain features, such as their eyes and nose, change over time. Moreover, their faces become a lot thinner over the years, and they started to use more make-up than before. There is no need to say that they also started to use things such as eye tape."
I am a huge fan of Japanese dramas. さいきん、「大切なことはすべて君がおしえてくれた」に興味が有ります。However, when it comes to the also popular Korean dramas. . . fan. . . not so much.  I've mostly come to enjoy Korean films, like Thirst.  But in terms of mainstream films that have a closer resemblance to dramas, I've only found one that I enjoyed: 100 Pounds of Beauty.  When I attempted to make a switch to Korean dramas, because there are so many popular ones available that I've never seen, I started with Boys Before Flowers (because I enjoyed the Japanese version).  While the cast is good-looking (plastic surgery jk! / Korean guys can be a bit too pretty for me), I found the acting intolerable.  I'm not one to get boggled down with the technique of acting, as long as I find it enjoyable I don't mind, but for Korean dramas, acting is what kills it.  (Wow, I feel like I put a lot of commas in sentences.)  Japanese dramas, mostly (romantic) comedies, can be overacted and I find that is resembles anime.  It is charming, funny, and sometimes so outlandish that it is cracky.  In contrast, Korean dramas take it to a point so far that I find it difficult to sit through more than ten minutes.  Mainstream, Korean dramas may just not be my cup of tea.  If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it.

As most of you know by now, Team B's Manami Oku will be graduating sometime this spring (around April).  There have been a handful of trainees who have been promoted, but have yet to be placed in a team.  I believe that, since an actual spot opened up, that Akimoto will replace Oku with one.  My pick is Shiori Nakamata (18) who often performs with Team B and has been accepted into economics department of Waseda University.  She recently appeared in an episode of AKBingo!.  I know, I am bypassing my new trainee favorite: Miorin.  She isn't a full-fledged member yet anyway, and has become a regular on AKBingo! and a favorite of her senpai (specifically the Team A font-girls).  Shiori isn't the only AKB48 member attending a university at the moment, which makes me proud.  Who do you think will get the spot, or who do you desire to be added to Team B?

C-ute has openly talked about their new sexier image.  I am happy to see the changes.  At the moment I am tempted to talk about how much Hello Project is sucking at promoting their groups, but I'll stop myself.
C-ute is in a really good place in terms of members, so I hope they can push it.  Other young idol units like Momoiro Clover and SKE48 are experiencing ever increasing sales and popularity; Momoclo is appearing on Shabekuri 007.  There has been a recent boom in interest in idols in Japan, so it is an ideal time to implement a surge.

When is Acchan just going to go solo already?  I've mentioned my new interest in Seiko Matsuda, who Acchan reminds me of. Although, I think Acchan would prefer to focus on acting versus a solo artist career and Akimoto probably wouldn't want to let her go.

It also seems that AKB48 graduate, Oshima Mai, is experiencing problems at Avex.  After releasing two singles she has seemingly disappeared.  Considering the interest in AKB48, I would think that Avex would at least to try to promote her more.  Since they don't seem to care about pushing her, Mai Mai should appeal to Akimoto to let her join SDN48.  She was quite popular in AKB48 and she is talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...