Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Momoiro Clover Way


First off I am going to post a clip from their appearance on Shabekuri 007 after the jump.  So if you don't want to read this post (which isn't that long), then you can just go straight to the video.  Okay now I will get to the point.  Momoiro Clover is gaining popularity.  While Akimoto is receiving praise for the (also gaining) popularity and success of his idol units, I don't think the management behind Momoiro Clover deserves much praises.  I've expressed my frustration towards their management in the past (and I tend to be very hard on the masterminds behind idol groups because it is often their fault that I am dissatisfied with what is happening).  I've already spoken about both the poor management in the cases of graduation and the issue of weight, so I will not discuss it now.  Before I go rant about how bad a job they are doing (not that bad, I just like expressing myself with hyperboles), the music and products, even with their seemingly low production budgets, are impressive.  

I wonder if the producers and managers behind Momoiro Clover thought they would sacrifice vocal performance for choreography.  It was the thing that stuck out for me first: their amazing, energetic performance which matched their genki, idol songs.  In the case of promotional videos and performing on music programs combining the two spectacular aspects is great.  However, when it is time to take lip-syncing away at concerts they are faced with a dilemma.  Their choreography is too demanding for Momoiro Clover to perform without hurting their vocal performance.  So instead of sticking with the track, they do something I've never seen/ heard before.  They play the back track and try to sing live as well.  When they aim for a larger audience, will this hurt their chances?  Are fans okay with Momoiro Clover poor singing performance in exchange for better choreography?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...