Sunday, February 12, 2012

So How Can K-Pop Make It In The US?

I've talked a lot about why artists from Korea and Japan don't seem to make it.  I've also discussed what the new Korean wave is doing wrong.  I've made 'what I would of done' comments.  Last weekend some of my friends and I discussed what it takes to make it in the US market.  I believe there are some key factors that would be helpful for K-Pop artists to make it.

The first thing we need to get into our heads as idol fans is this is the American market.  If you make it here, you'll make it anywhere.  Because of that, big acts after conquering their own market set their sights here.  While I do think these artists want to do it, I question whether they or their management are willing to go all in.


It Takes Time to Make a Hit:
There are those songs that hit hard and fast.  Britney Spears, I assume I don't actually remember when she debut, came out with instance success.  You'll also see that with artists that have already made a name for themselves.  But, if you are new on the scene, even if you have a hit-worthy track, might have to sit awhile and wait.
 
If you don't make it right out of the gate doesn't mean you don't have what it takes.  Touring helps create a buzz.  Pumped Up Kicks was on the New Moon Soundtrack, but it didn't become a sensation until 2011. This is a problem for Asian artists because in order to promote themselves they might need to sacrifice guaranteed success back home.  We know from Rain, BoA, Akanishi Jin, Utada, Wonder Girls' first attempt, and plenty other artists that just because you come in with good producers and a record label doesn't mean a thing.  Nicki Minj first couple of singles didn't catch my attention.  I discovered her when Super Bass' music video was trending on YouTube and my friends were sharing it on Facebook.  She has been in the music scene since 2007.

The Asian Thing:
I myself have pondered if this is a problem or not.  It is obvious that Asian Americans aren't as common as Anglo-Saxon, Black, and Hispanic artists.  The Far East Movement has done pretty well with a number one hit and touring with artists like Lady GaGa.  Then I considered one of my favorite artists: M.I.A.
It is not like there is a significant Sri Lankan Tamil population in the United States.  Heck, I bet you there are more people in the states who couldn't point to it on a map.  British artists, white or black, aren't successful here.  I think it is a possible barrier to be Asian or from a foreign country, but it doesn't mean it is impossible.

Covering the Basics:
Good things to have if you want to be a hit: cool concept, good music, and talent.  Adele isn't what is generally considered beautiful but she is a huge star.  Why?  She is an amazing singer and she shows it off.  She also has amazing songs.  Ke$ha isn't the best singer, but she writes her own music and has a clear and attention-grabbing concept.  If you are able to get a hit these are the things you need for people to stick around.  If they find out they don't like any of your other music they're aren't going to wait around for long.

The two things I'm not too worried about is abilities.  2NE1 also has a good concept, but beware of being called Asian Lady GaGas.  The thing is that Americans love to hear talent, so show it off!  Why was Whitney Houston so popular?  She could sing her butt off and even after all the scandals people still wanted her to succeed because she was talented.

The Industry Differences: 
Here is where I see the majority of the problems coming from, and I think I've mentioned them.  Lady GaGa writes her own music.  Ke$ha writes her own music.  Adele writes her own music.  Katy Perry writes her own music.  Superstars in the US market tend to contribute in a major way to their music.  They may not write all of it or come up with the instrumental, but they help.  It helps provide a genuine portrayal of the artist.  [It also means that they are talented which is why people will look past poor vocals.]  I'm not saying they need to play a hand, but the fact that they are just company puppets will be said and hurt their reputation.

Other aspects of the K-Pop Idol Industry which will promote that 'fake' image is the plastic surgery and how thin the girls are.  Both of those things are MAJOR turn offs for myself.  I prefer to see SNSD wearing more clothes to hide how skinny they are because I think it is not sexy and gross.  Rumors go flying around all the time about how one Hollywood star may be anorexic.  Personally, SNSD should gain some weight in order to not be scary thin or else here comes 'they aren't real women' claims.

Ever heard of Jennifer Grey?  She was a film star in the '80s; she was in films like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dirty Dancing.  What do you think killed her career?  One nose job.  I don't even like her anymore and I wasn't alive back then (I did love her movies before the nose incident).  There isn't much they can do now about past operations.  The best they can do is try to down play it or if it does come out be honest about what they did do to extinguish false rumors.


I think BoA had what it took to make it but her music was only okay and mostly just dance songs.  She also ran back to Japan when sales weren't that good.  Utada had a better shot talent wise.  I really liked her music video for her debut single, but a couple of the lyrics were suspect.  Utada at least tried harder.  She did see the most success in my opinion.  [I discovered Utada during her American stint.]  Akanishi is releasing the same type of music BoA tried, so he won't go anywhere.  However, like Utada, I feel he is more dedicated than BoA.

Let's Compare this to the top female artists at the moment:

Notice how all of the major female artists are solo acts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...