Sunday, January 9, 2011

No Sleeves' No3b Album Review

First off, congratulations for hitting #1 for your album release!  This album was released on January 1, 2011.  I'm sorry if the whole rating system is confusing.  The hearts are about how I feel, while the stars are my opinion on the quality.  I do this because, even if I think it is well made, I might not like it.  Not all songs are available for each version, but I will be reviewing all fifteen songs.

♥ - Hate it
♥♥ - Don't Like it
♥♥♥ - Like it
♥♥♥♥ - Really Like it
♥♥♥♥♥ - Love it
☆ bad
☆☆ not good
☆☆☆ okay
☆☆☆☆ good
☆☆☆☆☆ Superb!

1. Relax!
I adore this song, mostly because of the lyrics which I became very familiar with while watching fan-subbed episodes of Mendol-Ikemen Idol.  The gist of it is that you are the best the way you are.  I try to be positive because I am naturally a negative person, so this song resonants with me.  Not to mention, I find it catchy.
♥♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆


2. Kiss no Ryuusei
I have a theory that this year Akimoto went through a Spanish-inspired phase.  I like the guitar that gives it that latin-feel.  No Sleeves style feels quite smooth, which I enjoy.  Line division is always well done.
♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆

3. 3 Seconds Remix
This also includes that guitar detail.  I of course adore the original version, but I also like this.  They've added some elements to speed up the tempo, which isn't necessary.  I don't think the changes have enhanced it in anyway or have changed it something new.  It sounds like they've just added more layers.
♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆

4. Heart Gata Virus (No Sleeves Ver.)
I always have a gut reaction to stage songs being included in albums.  It feels like a cop-out from coming up with something original.  While the concept sounds good, for some reason the realization doesn't sound the same.  Maybe because I'm used to hearing it live, but it sounds different recorded.  They've added some odd electronic elements.  Although, some elements (like the keyboard) do suit the song.  The sad thing is all these differences distract me from the singing.  I also don't like the echo after the talking segment.
♥♥
☆☆☆

5. Bye Bye Bye
I've never loved this song, but I do think it is good.  I find it humorous that this unit has existed, even before No Sleeves debuted.  It doesn't sound very original, but I am not familiar with the lyrics.
♥♥♥
☆☆☆

6. Cloudy Sky (Kojima's Solo)
Finally an original song.  Wow, this sounds beautiful and well suited for Kojiharu.  This is why I push for more original songs from Akimoto because when he does I often find gems.  I wouldn't say that this is a toe tapper.  It is more like something I would listen to on my iPod as I drive on a trip or while lying on a beach or by the pool on vacation.  I hear blue skies, green swaying grass, a light breeze, and easy waves.
♥♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆☆

7. Kiseki wa Yoru Umareru (Takahashi's Solo)
This should be good considering this is Akimoto's favorite.  I love hearing the vibration in her voice.  It sounds like an anime ending theme, a really good one.  I am getting goosebumps.  I adore the on and off of this song.  Her voice is enchanting.  I am going to have to burn a CD of this song for my friends who are just getting into AKB48, because both their favorites are Takamina.
♥♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆☆

8. Watashi wa Watashi (Minegishi's Solo)
The first two solo songs have been spectacular.  I hope my favorite receives the same treatment . . . hmmm.  It is good, but it reminds me of other idol songs.  It is beautiful and well-done, but I don't think it stands out as much as the other two.  The nice thing is that all three solos are quite different from one another, but don't derive from the overall style of the album.  It sounds like a light, acoustic, pop song.  I am pleased that they added a climatic point to this track, because I find it adds more excitement and depth to a song.
♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆☆

9. Junai no Crescendo
Another reason why I don't like these stage songs as much is because I've heard them before.  I like hearing new material.  Fortunately, this doesn't sound too different from the live performances.  I actually believe it sounds slightly better because during the chorus their vocals are pushed forward.
♥♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆

10. Christmas Present Remix
I thought this song was perfect as the original.  The remix is slowed down and added some vocal swaying (kind of like humming).  The parts that they've added have changed it in a way that enhanced and made it different.  A remix shouldn't just add stuff to it.  There are some small parts that I would take away because I don't think they add anything to it (like a couple back-track lines that sound like an echo).
♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆

11. Lie
At first I didn't care for this song at all because of the repetition of the word 'lie'.  It has grown on me, thanks to live performances, the costumes, and dance.  It has a different sound to it (the brass), but still fits No Sleeves' (smooth, high-tempo, pop) style.  
♥♥♥♥
☆☆☆☆

12. Tane
This was their second single and I am glad that they didn't continue in this route (happy pop), but evolved into something different.  I don't like the back-track vocals that sounds like they just took their voices through some form of autotune or combined it with a keyboard.  There is also an annoying keyboard note that keeps repeating in certain sections, which causes the song to sound somewhat juvenile.  I prefer the non-album version.
♥♥
☆☆☆

13. Uso Desho ~Shichirigahama no Nana Fushigi~ (Kojima Center)
It sounds like just three Harunas singing together?  Hmm. . . I don't know how I feel about this song.  It sounds pretty good, but.
♥♥
☆☆☆

14. Next Heaven (Takahashi Center)
During the verses there is some random electronic sounds that I don't think is needed, but besides that is sounds great.
♥♥
☆☆☆

15. Shaku ga Hoshii (Minegishi Center)
This is a fun song, but the clapping sounds fake, and I don't love the chorus.  However, I adore the verses (until the fake clapping).
♥♥
☆☆☆

Overall Score:
☆☆☆☆ 
♥♥
The original works (especially the solos) were well-done.  However, the album versions and remixes were hit or miss (but not to any extreme).  The one big disappointment is that their latest single, Kimi Shika, was left out.  I would recommend purchasing the member-of-your-choice's edition because their songs are the more worthwhile.  Unfortunately, all limited editions are sold out at CDJapan.  


No Sleeves [Regular Edition]
2913yen
First Press Sold Out @ CDJapan
Tracklist:
1. Relax!
2. キスの流星 (Kiss no Ryuusei)
3. 3 Seconds Remix
4. ハート型ウイルス [no3b ver.] (Heart Gata virus)
5. Bye Bye Bye
6. 純愛のクレッシェンド (Junai no Crescendo)
7. クリスマスプレゼント Remix (Christmas Present)
8. Lie
9. タネ (Tane)
10. Next heaven [EYES]
11. 尺が欲しい [恋愛運上昇団] (Shaku ga hoshii - Renai un Joushoudan)
12. 嘘でしょ?~七里ガ浜の七不思議~ [ガールズ・ING] (Uso Desho? ~Shichirigahama no Nanafushigi~ - Girls-ing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...