Thursday, November 17, 2011

I'm Sorry Wonder Girls


Let me start off with stating that my first thought while watching this video is WTF is JYP?  Does that stand for Japan?  Why would their Korean single do that.  It was thanks to Eat Your Kimchi I found out that it was the music producer's identification marker.  Like he is some serial killer who has to leave something behind in order for people to know that he did it.  Do you know why they do that?  Because someone has a bit of an ego and can't be satisfied by just producing good work.

This is a fun song to listen to, but I am not a huge fan of dancing to it.  It is a breeze of fresh air from the majority of girl groups who are overtly sexy or aegyo (or both at the same time), but I still prefer to jam out to the powerhouses like 2NE1 or BEG.  Trust me, I've tried jamming out in my dorm room to this but I can't get into it.  The English lines in the chorus is what kills it for me.  It is a bit to cliche.

Everything seemed like it was going along just fine, until nine seconds into the video.  When a whirlwind of YOU ARE NOT SERIOUSLY TRYING TO COPY BEYONCE? passed by.  While they do follow my golden rule about remakes (be different, or significantly better) [wondering which one . . . do you actually think this is better than Single Ladies], let me insert a note to that rule; IT IS TOO SOON.  If you want to bring something back that looks almost identical it better be from a different time like the 80s or farther back.  No one cares that the spectacular Emma Stone is starring in the movie because it was only like ten years ago since they made the first spider man movie.  And before you even suggest that it isn't that similar let's go through the basics ascetics:
 - plain white room, check
 - tight black outfits that show off their legs, check
 - center girl with a big hair bump, check
 - it is a dance shot
 - the lights slowly fade in and out of darkness

I don't care about the pops of colors, or the moving floors, or the fact that there are various types of shots.  It doesn't stop me from seeing it and it won't go away.  If they just didn't have that one shot!  If they had only cut that all out for the circle stage room!  The steps and the circle room would of been fine!  You can't possible try to outshine Sasha Fierce.
  
Besides that I liked it.  I can't review this video well because I can't stop seeing Single Ladies.  (Which is said to be the best video of all time . . . hehehehe.)

The other song they've been promoting with it is GNO.

It isn't until 1:19 in this video that I like the song.  The whole style of that section reeks of songs released from women in the states who have no business releasing music.  So basically I hate half the song.  Yep.  You can see what I mean after the jump.  (The Wonder Girls are much more talented, but the song made me think of this:)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...