Tuesday, August 16, 2011

PV Reviews

I know I've been lazy lately and haven't been reviewing any music videos.  At least I tried to keep up post new PVs every so often.  I wanted to review C-ute's new PV, but thought I should review what else I have stockpiled for my next spam. I wish I had more positive reviews, but I'm holding out that AKB's full 18min PV will be better than the under 5min version.  To be warned, this is half Korean idols.  I feel like I should give them a fair shake like I do for Japanese idol groups.  Recently, well no this behavior has been around forever, there has been some haters on the Korean side.  Right now the target is SKE48 because they will be doing some activities in Korea.  It pisses me off and ruins K-Pop for me.  So I blame K-Pop fans for why I want to hate K-Pop (even if it isn't deserved).  Especially when I see them defending their groups from American-Pop haters on YouTube.  So If you like K-Pop, let me enjoy my J-Pop in peace, so that I can also enjoy my K-Pop☆
Even though in spirit it isn't much different than their last PV, which I didn't care for, I really like this PV.  The various colors create these beautiful solo and group shots.  This seems to go better with their name, but I miss their developing character.  They are such wonderful dancers I feel like songs like Shock are better for them.  The costumes are typical idol outfits I almost thought it was a parody at first.  I mean the neon green cowboy hat.  The large skirts are a bit frumpy in the dance shot, but look adorable in the other various shots.  The classic leg-grab move is funny.  I think they did a marvelous job here, but I do not like the song one bit.  I don't think it is catchy or something I want to dance to.  The girls shine brightly, but the song doesn't do it for me.
☆☆☆☆


I think the concept of the group is cute, but I'm a Cindy fan.  They are all just too rough around the edges.  Everything looks like the dull schoolgirl idol PV, but they don't know how to work the camera. When they aren't looking at the camera, like in the library, nothing seems off.  However, in the most of the shots I don't see them shine.  They are pretty stiff especially in the dance shot and when it comes to the choreography.  There are couple girls who seem more comfortable, at least at some points, and that is the tallest and the girl standing next to her with the small side ponytail.  I tend to go easy on the indie idol groups.  They mainly lack attention grabbing eye contact.  
☆☆


Is it just me or is Korea beating Japan at the number of active, major idol groups?  I do not like the dance shot because everything is too gold.  It is almost like they are trying to blend in.  I think the solo shots are all pretty good, but some are better than others.  I really like the girl with the gold background and the brass band shot.  My least favorite is the presses solo shot.  Now the black solo shot seems out of place.  Most of the other shots were going with the gold color and a retro feel from the same period to match the song.  However, the black dance shot seems to lack any of that except for the gold ceiling panels.  Plus, one of the girls has grey hair.  How is that flattering?  I think what sold this video for me is the one solo shot of the girl with the gold background.  I just adore that shot and it is the reason why this wasn't going to lose another star.
☆☆☆


All seems well at first, looks like it matches the song.  However, I should of known that I would be disappointed because this is targeted at Japan.  See I wouldn't mind if their Korean videos and songs didn't seem significantly better quality.  Why does it feel like Korean artists come to Japan and sell a worse product even though Japan has a bigger music industry?  They wouldn't pull that bullshit if it was the States.  It is basically, no it is, three dance shots.  Should I be grateful that you changed your clothes and the backdrop?  I don't hate it, but it feels like just another insult and I can't take it anymore after Mr. Taxi.  Mr. Taxi was atrocious if you consider their earlier songs and the fact that in Tokyo getting a taxi is ridiculous.
☆☆


First thought: barbie.  This song is about being cool, I assume.  I don't think it is cool, especially when you are doing a dance move which makes me think you are farting.  Oh an old, creepy white guy this couldn't get any worse.  Another dance move which looks like you are waving the stink away from your butt.  Track in prom dresses?  Some random losers. . . WTF was that?  I didn't like the song on top of it all.  Yep.





Can anyone explain their name for me?  This looks like it came from the 90s.  I do give them credit for trying out something different like roller-skates.  I don't know what to make of their two level stage.
☆☆


I do not approve of the second dance shot.  I do adore the pink set.  What is with these girl groups and using some interesting shots at the beginning then ditching it to just use three dance shots?  At least they have close up shots.  For some reason their second dance shot reminds me of middle school.  That little laugh at the end was as cheesy as the state I live in.  For the most part it was pretty good.
☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...