Monday, August 22, 2011

PV Reviews 110822

Here is a girlicious PV review post.  It features AKB48, SDN48, new idol group Fairies, Super Girls, and a bit of K-Pop.  If you don't know, on YouTube I follow Eat Your Kimchi which reviews requested K-Pop videos every Monday.  Well I requested for Teen Top's recent music video, and they did it.  I suggest you check it out.  I am kind of glad that this is mainly a J-Idol blog because my impression from various comments among other things that K-Idol fans on the internet are pretty vicious.  (I have an impression of Japanese male wota as a bit stalker-ish because of all the scandals caused by them digging up trash about idols.)  I digress, lets get to it.  UPDATE: My computer and Blogger are being glitchy.  My videos that I've embedded keep on disappearing (and it has varied).  I'm going to give it a little break and fix it later.  Sorry about that.

To give you guys some perspective, I adore Nine Muses' song No Playboy.  I wasn't so thrilled with this one, both the song and the video.  It has the typical K-Idol format of some dance and close up shots.  They did play with the lighting and had more variation than more prominent groups like Girls Generation, but you need to do more than that.  What sold this video enough to get another star is the lighting in some of the shots, especially the close up with the black background and rainbow spots of light.  I just don't respond well to a lack of creativity.
☆☆☆


I hated their first couple of singles, I loved the single before this, and I like this one.  This reminds me of Hello Project and some of their old silly songs with a disco feel.  I love that they add the playful elements of cosplay.
☆☆☆☆

What is with these new, young idol groups that have major artists backing them and only have one (at least less than half of the group) singing.  I appreciate the mainstream feel to their production and the better dancing and all but can they actually all sing?  This is the only preview, but because of Happiness, I am not prepared to be surprised.  (Three dance shots.)
☆☆

I hate the song, but the music video is really good!  I love the color combinations used in the dance shots.  The storyline shot is playful.
☆☆☆☆

Oh god the English!  Nothing was wrong, but not believable.  Well, I got my club/ bar PV but the girls all look really trashy.  I mean if they were on the curb I would think they were prostitutes.  There are good elements to it.  Hey at least their dancing isn't more provocative than Hyuna's.  I'm all for women taking charge and having active sex lives (guys do it and no one thinks of it), but could we clean it up a bit?





I was a bit concerned that it was too hyped, especially after just watching the short version because it seemed basic.  The action was basic and it was basically only two shots: dance shot and storyline shot.  What I've learned from K-Pop teasers is that the teaser's impression has little to do with the full version (often disappointing).  However, after getting off of my shift at Coldstone I watched this masterpiece with glee.  The direction and cinematography is amazing.  If only I was a fan of old kung fu films because I wonder how it compares.  The nice thing about AKB is that it seems the fans are incorporated in most things they do.  It revolves around the relationship between Maeda and Oshima.  I am thrilled they went all out with the theme.  The song is brought in in the main fight scenes which doesn't feel disjointed but part of the rising to the climax.  The stage and costumes for the dance shot are wonderful.  It was the potential of this PV which sold me on importing a physical copy, and I do not regret it.  There is still room for improvement though.  I wish the big dance section was more difficult because the choreography is anticlimactic when matched to the instrumental.  I would of also liked for the other members to have stronger fighting scenes, they seemed almost minion-level weak.  The conclusion was touching.
☆☆☆☆☆


I was expecting something sexier because of the happy title track and the center.  However, with the variation in members I thought this was a great idea.  To pull this off in one continuous shot is impressive.  The little mistakes and mannerisms are endearing.  It isn't my favorite Undergirls' PV, but I approve.
 ☆☆☆☆


This is basically shots from the second season of Majisuka Gakuen cut together with behind the scenes clips.  I go easy of their third song PVs because most groups only release one PV per single, but they release four.  The video has good pacing with the slow song.  I would of liked to see a larger proportion of behind the scenes video.
☆☆☆☆


I was expecting at least close-up shots, possibly a dance shot.  However, I do like the storyline that they decided to go with: pay it forward.  Basically Eguchi Aimi does something nice for Acchan and then Acchan does something sweet for Oshima, and it continues on.
☆☆☆
Hey, AKB has schoolgirls and SDN has hostesses.  I do find some hostess characters annoying.  I do like the idea that they have a song about drinking, but I would of preferred a club song or a rock-edge at a bar.  I like the dance shot and some of the characters in the story-shot.  Plus, they have Cindy!  (It helps that I like the song.)
☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...