Saturday, March 20, 2010

10 MY ME Review

Yeah, my first full CD review. It would be, of course, Morning Musume's considering they were my first idol group. I'll do it track by track, and in order. I think it is important to first listen to the whole album in order.

1. Moonlight night ~Tsukiyo no ban da yo~
I'm always impressed with the first track, like last album's SONGS. It is a great opening track. It has a punchy, high energy tone. Moonlight night sets up the image for the rest of the CD.
FIVE/FIVE

2. Kimagure Princess
I only like this track for the PV. This CD has a tendency to edit the members' voices, which adds to the electronic undertones. The more I listen to this song the less I dislike it. This song's placement is pretty good. The opening gets you excited. Then this track slows it done a bit for the next song.
THREE/FIVE

3. Genki Pikappika!
Pretty chill track. I can just see them driving on the highway with the top down on their way to the beach singing this song. It has this relaxed upbeat. I like it, but nothing spectacular. However, so far I don't know how much I would love the concert. I like the strings solo because it reminds me of Michiru from Sailor Moon. Oh yeah, I said it.
FOUR/FIVE

4. Namidacchi
It is really great not to hear Ai or Reina's voice at the very beginning. It starts off slow, which I love. Then they throw in these high energy points. I don't hate it, but I find it jumpy. It would be better if they did it only towards the end. Instead they do a little rapping segment. Ahh... I want to love this song, but they just fight me on it. The little rap sessions are a common thread to even the beginning of Morning Musume. I do enjoy those moments, but with these members, and this album's mood I believe the old traditions and the new development feel disconnected.
FOUR/FIVE

5. Onna ga Medatte Naze Ikenai
I naturally enjoy this song more than Kimagure Princess, but the PV helps this track less. KP grows on me. OGMNI just is flat, every single time I listen to it. I like the lyrics. I like the sound. I like the PV. I really like the costumes. That is about it. I did enjoy the strings solo again. I should start calling this album Michiru.
THREE/FIVE

6. Ooki Hitomi (Tanaka Reina, Kamei Eri, & Michishige Sayumi)
I love this song, especially the beat. I can stand Tanaka Reina for much longer than Takahashi Ai. (It is just that they basically sing every song on their own.) I also find it interesting how they adjusted Michishige Sayumi's voice.
FIVE/FIVE

7. Ano hi ni modoritai (Takahashi Ai & Niigaki Risa)
Great, my least favorite members. They both have good voices. Their personalities, unfortunately, rub me the wrong way. But besides that, it is a beautiful song.
FOUR/FIVE8. Nanchatte Ren'ai
This is by far my favorite single off of 10 MY ME. It highlights all the girls really well. The PV is perfect. I just love everything about. (If only they gave the other girls more lines.) I wouldn't change a thing about this. Even the front girls don't bother me. (I just dislike line whoring.)
FIVE/FIVE

9. Osaka Oishiinen (Mitsui Aika, LinLin, JunJun)
The eighth generation got jilted. This track is really off from the rest. Everything else is cool and smooth, but this is goofy and not in the best sense. The talking parts are kind of fun, kind of being the key word. I love that they get a song to themselves, but did Tsunku run out of ideas. Tsunku: I have to give them something... (digs through the trash)...this will do. No one likes them anyway.
ONE/FIVE

10. Loving you forever
The fact that this track is after OO does not help OO feel anymore at home. Loving you forever is a very nice song. It has the elegant, simplicity that C-ute's Shigatsu Sengen has, but it lacks something. Unlike C-ute's single, this would not be able to stand as a single. I get bored after awhile.
THREE/FIVE

11. Shou ga nai Yume Oibito
This is my second favorite single off 10 MY ME. This track increases my belief that after Koharu left, the line whoring only got worse. You hear each girl in the Pre-Grad singles. There is another string solo! Another elegant dance track. This Morning Musume does a wonderful job with choreography to slower songs.
FIVE/FIVE

12. Ame no Furanai Hoshi de wa Aisenai Darou? (Chinese Ver.)
I personally dislike the sound of Chinese languages. However, the song is also beautiful. I do prefer the original, but I understand that Morning Musume is trying to be more international. This also provides more opportunities for the Pandas. Similar to Loving you forever, I get a little bored half way through the song, but then the song pulls me back.
FOUR/FIVE
Overall (rounded) Score:
FOUR/FIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...