Tuesday, March 9, 2010

CURSE YOU REGION CODES!!!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about here are the basics. The majority of DVD players, even the one for your computer, are region coded. This is done by manufacturers so that if a DVD is released in one country, someone in another country has to wait till it is released there. I believe this is completely stupid. This will encourage people to break the rules, either by watching the movies illegally online or they will try to get past the region codes.

There is always an option of purchasing a region free DVD player, but if we are also bothering to import a DVD then we might be putting a major dent in our wallets. I'm going off to college, so where am I going to put that thing? Anyway, it is the same stupid reason that you can't buy from a foreign iTunes. Not every song or DVD is released in our country. For example, AKB48 is not on the American iTunes. Therefore my options is to get a CD shipped all the way from Japan or download it online. The situation for DVDs are worse. If I go the legal route then I end up with a DVD I can't watch.

I don't want to have to deal with paying for the DVD, paying for the shopping services because they don't ship internationally, pay the shipping costs, and then after all that I can't watch it. I have a Mac, so I can change the region code, but only about five times then it is locked. (I am likely going to post a more specific question about this somewhere else.) Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this. I want to do the right thing and support the artists, but I won't be able to enjoy it and I want to avoid spending all my extra cash. There is no such thing as extra cash when you are heading off to college. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...