Sunday, December 5, 2010

Please, For All That Is Idoly!

I've had mixed feelings towards Beckii Cruel in the past, and for me the jury still can't make up their damn minds.  I disliked her a lot in the beginning because I didn't think she was that great of a dancer, just lucky.  However, (not till after she released her singles) I've become impressed. . . okay not impressed.  I could enjoy some of her videos.  How recent?  Like really recent.  I've tried to warm up to her because she is kind of an idol, and part of my dislike (me thinks) derives from jealously.  But this isn't what I want to focus on (just some background):

PLEASE FOR ALL THAT IS IDOLY AND HOLY DO NOT RELEASE THAT NEXT SINGLE!!!!
She has already recorded it and uploaded previews, but it hasn't been released.  My thoughts are that someone knows it sucks so hard that they don't want to hurt her and the producer's feelings.  I'm not trying to be mean, but that single makes me naturally prepare to throw up!  Every time, doesn't take long, I start doing the motions like I think I am going to lose my lunch.  I won't even stain my blog with this thing (one of the worst songs I've ever heard: I am being completely serious).

It is aiming to be a generic ultra-bubblegum pop.  Which it fails at.  This style of pop died in the 90s, and the 90s didn't really produce anything spectacular either.  (I feel like everyone had lost too many brain cells from all the drug periods from the 60s to the 80s and even continued into the 90s.)  You either have to make yourself into a joke, and be awesome.  Or you have to be a guilty pleasure for the sexed-crazed masses.  Only cute Japanese girls can pull off this without falling into the previously mentioned categories.  (It is difficult to review because my ears are bleeding profusely.)  That is just the sound of the song.  The lyrics are also a complete mess.  Yes, a lot of Japanese, idoly, pop songs are about innocent crushes and such, but from that point of view!  It is from a shallow girl's perspective.  Some ditz, blowing gum bubbles, thinking how cute she is and how none of the guys are good enough to even speak to her.  Okay, so that is not exactly what they are about, but it is the impression I get.  The guy is afraid to make a move on a girl he has a crush on (and the girl also has a crush on him).  She gets bored so 'NO SEX FOR YOU.'  It doesn't help that in the unofficial music video, that she uploaded, the dancing isn't that great.

After the jump I'm going to share my thoughts and feelings about Beckii and the other Cruels.  Then I'll expand, but mostly to compare, with other dancing YouTube celebrities.  I also touch on fans.

For some reason I feel like I am better than anime fans, not 100% true.  I like anime and manga, but at the average Japanese person level.  I have friends who are otaku.  I guess it is not what you are into, but how you represent those with dedicated interests.  I only pick on anime otaku because it feels like every foreigner who is interested in Japan only cares about anime.  Oh you are taking Japanese.  What anime are you into?  Blah, blah, blah.  It gets lonely when none of your friends have the same interest as you (the lonely days of high school).  This is also one of the reasons why I prefer Gemma over Beckii.  What I care about is presentation.  What do you picture when you think otaku?  Not that flattering is it?  How about wota?  Adult male obsessed with under aged girls.  This isn't 100% true, but we all know that that impression doesn't just come from nowhere.  I love idols.  I care about fashion and my appearance.  (You don't have to be the same way, as long as you have a nice presentation whether it be your dress or personality.)  I want to be a fan that my idols can be proud to have. 
Mayuyu and I have almost identical glasses!
There is nothing wrong with being the typical fan.  Red-blooded men are perfectly fine.  Everyone needs an outlet that cheers them up at the end of a long day.  Just think, we are stimulating the Japanese economy (among other things lol).  (I know it sounds a little contradicting.  Maybe if I get a Psych major in here they can explain my thoughts and feelings to you better.)  Beckii has made multiple statements that have turned me off.  Is there really a right fan?  Beckki has suggested that she may not care for her older fans and she kind of dissed gravure magazines which many of my idols have graced the pages and covers of.  I'm not surprised because being attracted to underage girls when you are adult is a no no in the West.  In Japan, the lolita factor is more acceptable.  (I do not approve of pedophilia and such things, but lets be realistic here: people got feelings.)

Beckii has already abandoned the Cruel Project, because of some management issues.  I'm afraid that she the fame might be getting to her head.  In comparison with the idols Japan churns out she doesn't match in comparison.  Her dancing isn't spectacular, she can lack rhythm at times.  I was routing for Gemma because she is adorable and is more of a wota to Beckii's otaku.  Unfortunately, she isn't even as good as Beckii at dancing.  She also had trouble when she was in Japan, so she may not have the stamina.  I believe that they get the most attention because they are Caucasian, not because of their talent.  Beckii may be getting to (or close to) the same level as Japanese YouTube dancing celebrities.  I'll let you decide.





Gemma Cruel's original song sounds close to what you would hear from an Akihabara idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...