Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Guilty Pleasure: YuiKaori

When I first heard about the duo and viewed their first PV, I didn't care for it.  I didn't care for the song so I basically wrote off the group as just another idol group that I wouldn't follow.  (I also thought that they just threw together a teasingly too young cutie pie with her less pretty older sister.)  However, I could not stop watching Yui's motion capture video.  It is the most addicting thing ever.  It is like a delicious mix of an idol, Perfume vocals, and anime-culture undertones.  Yui is adorable and is an amazing dancer.  Then I started watching their PV more and became somewhat addicted.  And I am officially addicted to their second single and PV.  I was very tentative about my new found interest in YuiKaori considering their controversial image.

Since I don't know Japanese, I'm not sure about the lyrics, but the PVs themselves aren't inappropriate for the pair.  The magazines scans of Yui, who is 14, tip toes near my moral boundaries.  The issue mostly stems from what the girls are associated with.  They sing the opening and are kind of the real life version of the characters (based on the magazine scans and promotion) of a raunchy anime.  That is mostly what I have a problem with, which isn't the music or the girls.  So my opinion has changed.  It includes my view on Kaori, who looks ten times better with curly hair.

I'm still not thrilled with the shots of Yui because she is 14, but I think that also makes me a hypocrite because I bet H!P (plus they are under Up Front Style) and AKB have already done the same.  In the back of my mind they remind me of another idol duo who are, I believe, AV idols.  That's why I still consider them a guilty pleasure.  (Matsui Jurina and Matsui Rena in the bathtub during Heavy Rotation PV {which I didn't consider that dirty} reminds me of YuiKaori.)

I love Yui, so I am adding her to my list of favorite idols. (I can't say no to the good dancers.)  I'll have more pics and info after the jump.
(Info from J-Pop Stop)
  • Name: Ogura Yui (小倉唯)
  • Birthdate: 15th August 1995 (almost 15)
  • Birthplace: Gunma Prefecture
  • Blood type: O
  • Star Sign: Leo
  • Height: 150 cm (4 feet and 11 inches)
  • Skills: classic ballet, swimming, jazz dancing, tap dancing
  • Hobbies: walking her pet dog, karaoke, shopping
  • Favorite word: Thank you
  • Favourite Food: dried plum, ice cream, strawberries
  • Disliked Food: nattou (fermented soybeans), mushrooms, seafood, raw fish
  • Qualifications: 5th level Chinese Character certification, 5th level English Proficiency certification, 1st level Swimming certification
  • Favourite Movie: Spirited Away

    "It gave me courage and I was deeply moved by Chihiro, who worked very hard to turn her parents, who got turned into pigs, back into humans."
  • Favourite Anime: Detective Conan

    "It is funny that even though he's small, his brain is that of an adult."
  • Favourite sport: skiing, skating, swimming
  • Current Obsessions: roller-ball pens, dressing up her pet dog
  • HAPPY! STYLE groups:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...