Monday, May 31, 2010

Best Jdorama - Drama Category

I've watched quite a few Japanese television shows over the years and I thought it would be helpful for those just starting to get into it, or for those who are looking for something new, if I gave some recommendations.  I am going to divide these into two categories: Drama & Comedy.  I'll mention if there is any romance included, which there usually is.  I'll go in order greatness.
LIFE- This is by far the best high school drama I've ever seen.  The main focus is on teenage bullying but it also covers a wide range of issues.  There is some positive things about this series, but they do go through quite a lot.  There is a small romance factor, but it is actually pretty minor.

1 Litre of Tears- This is also spectacular.  I even ranked it lower because of how much of a tear jerker it is.  I cried at least once every episode.  It is worse because this is based on a true story.  It is about a teenage girl who has an incurable illness that develops quickly.  There is some romantic drama, but it takes a back seat to her illness.

Jotei-  This is about a young women who seeks revenge on the rich and powerful who treat others like trash.  She seeks to become a number one hostess called an empress in order to have power over those men.  This includes women being catty, political drama, and more.  It took ages for it to become re-available on direct download sites.  There is a strong romantic element.


Majisuka Gakuen- Now don't jump to conclusions here.  I would not have added this if it wasn't good enough.  It is an added bonus if you like the members, but you'll enjoy it even if you don't.  This show is about a delinquent, all-girls, high school who get two transfers, one with a dark past.  What is interesting about this show is the humor that is worked in is more Western-style than Japanese.  Their humor is not over the top unless it is a part of the character, so the humor is very muted in comparison with most Japanese dramas.  If you are confused, lets just say their reactions are more realistic than over the top.  There are some pairings, but nothing too strong in the relationship department.

Liar Game- This drama is about a girl who is very honest, so she is easily duped.  She is sucked into this competition called the Liar Game which ruins her life.  I ranked this so low because after a while it got on my nerves how little she developed.  She is constantly the victim, so I didn't watch the second season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...