Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Uncensored Beginner PV Review


This whole PV debacle has exhausted me of any excitement that I could of and had for this single.  My only hope to get me my excited fix that I usually get with a single is if the record sales go over well.  As I said before, the fact that they banned this promotional video (and will not include it on the DVD) has only heightened expectations to a level that the original PV would not reach.  The storyline would of been really impressive in comparison with other idol groups' PV plots.  The most disturbing thing I thought kids would have trouble with would be Acchan screaming after she wakes up from the game with her hand being stabbed.  The other kills are so unrealistic that it is hard to see it as anything but a video game.  The color palette of the whole PV is really beautiful and the whole PV is well made.  That is, however, only my opinion on the technical side.  The quality isn't surprising considering the stars behind the scenes.  The director is Nakajima Tetsuya who also directed the film Kamikaze Girls, a favorite of mine.  Then the choreographer is TETSUHARU, who has worked with SMAP and Namie Amuro.  What saves it, for me, is the statement it makes (that I interpreted).  I felt like it was reminding that video game violence is fake, but in real life the same violence is painful.  I think that would be a wonderful statement to make.  Not that video games are bad, but that players should be aware that it should never transfer over to real life.

With all the mixed emotions and hype for this PV, it left me disappointed.  I ended up enjoying the dance version of this PV much more because you get to see the girls goof around and also working hard to create an impressive product.  My only critique of this PV is that I thought the whole PV was too unrealistic and a little bit hard to understand the game itself.  Are the girls a team fighting against the game itself?  I also would of liked if the actions were more sped up.  The slow-mo shots look good but would of been more impressive if they were contrasted with more and or faster game action.  I think this also is less spectacular because we watch each member losing the game with a little defending, but not much aggressive action on the part of the members.  (Oh, I also would of liked to see more members of senbatsu get more screen time in the PV.)

While I was watching the PV, instead of letting myself being immersed in the PV, I was thinking of how I thought it looked like they were going for a healthy medium.  Like if there was an original concept that was going to far or on the borderline of too far for younger viewers that the direct and staff adjusted the concept and edited the PV to make it more appropriate, but still enjoyable for older audiences.  For example, while Acchan is screaming her screams don't always match the her movement, like some clips were slowed down in the editing process.  In my opinion, if it video matched the audio it would be more disturbing and realistic.  The other elements of the game, besides the members, were all normal shapes.  When Mayu is cut in half you see her getting cut, but not the removal of the pointy things (I don't know what to call them).  Instead they cut away to the game console to show a basic animated figure bending in half to show the result.  The most disturbing kill in the game was Haruna getting her head chopped off because you see her body slide down and hit the floor.  (Note: you don't see any blood or anything too bad.)  They make everything in the game clearly fake and in no way realistic.  Based on Japanese standards the original PV pales in comparison to all the gore, action, and horror films released (on a regular basis).  Majisuka Gakuen, a TV drama starring members of AKB48 (as well as SKE48 and SDN48), was much more violent and disturbing.  Which strengthens my belief that this was the record company's decision and not a stunt by AKB48 management.

Since when has AKB48 had a audience of children?  Or at least when have they cared about that.  Not only are the lyrics to plenty of their songs inappropriate (sleeping with teachers, having sex in public, ect) but even their PVs have been hitting hot button issues that Japanese culture doesn't always want to talk about (bullying and enjo kousai).  For heaven sakes they were in their skivvies in their last PV!

The one thing that has lifted my spirits was when my friend who lives on my dorm floor, an Arashi rager, told me that AKB48 had sold over a one million pre-orders.  I was in shock, so I looked up to see if it was true.  Slightly disappointed, I explained to her that this is only the amount they shipped to stores as first press.  Non-the-less this is impressive.  The amount of first press that is shipped is kind of like what the record company thinks or hopes they will sell in the first week.  The fact that they are shipping that much out says a lot.  There was a small buzz for Heavy Rotation about this, but it wasn't over a million copies that time.  I think it is possible that they can do this, but I wouldn't say it is a sure thing at all.  The fact that they are making news about this is in itself good promotion.  Bandwagoning!  Everyone else is buying this single, be apart of the history!

Now onto the last topic of conversation about this single.  Yes, AKB48 and Morning Musume are releasing singles on the same day.  First off, even though they are technically competing with each other, they aren't or at least it is not on AKB48's mind.  Only fans are making this sound like a show down.  I have yet to hear about the Japanese media talk about it so dramatically.  Two, Morning Musume might get a boost in sales because they are competing with AKB48 but are extremely unlikely of doing so.  Their management has been doing a horrible job of promoting this single, and AKB48 is doing well in terms of promotion.  Their past single sales will tell you the same.  Morning Musume is not a threat of beating AKB48 for best first day sales.  If AKB48 was going up against Arashi that is another story.  Just stop comparing them and feeling like they are sworn enemies.  There are fans who like both groups.  Morning Musume (34,122 first week sales of their last single) stands a chance against SKE48 (62,078), but looking at their sales it doesn't even look good there.  Now go cry in a corner and come to terms with reality.  Don't hate me or any of the OO48s.  Hate Tsunku for doing a shit job.

Uncensored PV (Back-UP)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...