Thursday, September 30, 2010

Arashi: U LIEK SPARKLES?

What do you need in order to become a fan of Arashi?  Apparently, all you need is a friend on your dorm floor who is a raving fan, a Japanese TA who uses members as examples, a love for Jdrama, and sprinkle in some other predispositions.  Tada!  I know every member of Arashi without even trying.  See that picture.  That is on my door of my dorm.  But, so is this. . .
I put it there, so that may be cheating.

I was aware of Arashi's existence, but I never got into it before.  First off, because it is a boy group.  Not like most reactions where they might think of Backstreet Boys or one of those.  I just prefer female voices.  This is true, but there are exceptions, for most genres (rock, pop, hip hop).  The second reason was the fact that Johnny's Entertainment must despise foreign fans.  How did I get into Morning Musume?  Utaban, PVs, and later on Concerts.  AKB48: AKBingo, PVs, dramas, and later stages and concerts.  Arashi: unavailable for most people who are just surfing YouTube.  It turns out that unlike most Japanese artists who eventually open their own YouTube page because they are sick of fans uploading their content (and having to take them down due to copyright), Johnny's has just stuck to taking down everything and may be the strictest Japanese copyright enforcer on YouTube.  Thanks to my new friend I decided I would give them a try.  Well, when I tried the first step of my guide to AKB (PVs) I got nothing.  Johnny's Entertainment knows nothing of gaining international fame.  Arashi is the most popular artist in Japan, so why not try expanding a little?  But, I'm not here just to rant about the stupidity of their management, or Arashi's ridiculous costumes.  Let, me sing some praises. . . okay thoughts might be a better word.
To be honest, I still don't care for the music.  So far the one concert that I've seen has made them a joke.  For me, I enjoy them for their personalities, looks, and as fantasy boyfriends.  I know, I'm the worst kind of fan.  I am bothered when fans of AKB48 say they don't like the music.  I understand when they say the quality isn't great (I wouldn't call it bad either).  It is pop music.  Pop music is suppose to be popular, sometimes you'll get something edgy and high quality.  However, I think pop music is more about a fantasy or relatability.  I want music to take me somewhere and or connect to my feelings and thoughts.  I don't expect Beethoven's Fur Elise.  

Sorry, got off topic.  Junnifer and Nino for me are just for comedic entertainment.  Jun (Junnifer) only makes a good boyfriend when he is not being himself (acting).  I've always had a thing for Yankee characters so Ohno suits that interest.  Then Sho is generally entertaining and good looking.  Last is Aiba who (is hilarious when he tries to speak in English and) looks good in person, but not as much in pictures.  He seems like he is the more realistic boyfriend fantasy.  I don't know how often I'll post about them, but I want to do a concert review.  Thanks to my friend it will be easier to get my hands on one.  Excuse me for objectifying Arashi.  (You can watch this episode w/ subs of them and Oguri Shun talk about their fetishes.)  So do you liek sparkles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...